Re: Boot messages (Was: Re: Ideas for v2.1)

Stefan Reinauer (stepan@home.culture.mipt.ru)
Thu, 20 Jun 1996 11:34:52 +0200

Jared Mauch wrote:

> The Intel Flash bios motherboards can be programmed with a picture
> of the vendor or the users configuration. You can get their flash
> bios writing program from ftp.intel.com, and it has docs for setting
> up a bios picture, so all you nudie fans, and others can make stuff like
> that, or even penguins show up. If I recall correctly it only lets you
> drop in 4 color pictures, perhaps 16, but not any more than that because
> if someone puts a mda video card in, they want to be able to niceley
> revert back to a non graphical image thingie.. ;-)
>
> - Jared
>
> Shinanyaku graced my mailbox with this long sought knowledge:
> > Miquel van Smoorenburg was heard saying ....
> > >

> > > Uhm, all VGA cards support redefining the character set right? So why don't
> > > you just redefine the upper 64 characters and display them in a block
> > > of 8x8. That way, you will still be in text mode and LILO and the kernel
> > > can display all debugging messages they want. Ofcourse the kernel should
> > > reset the characterset just before starting the first user process.
> >
> > Is that how modern BIOS's show a graphical image upon boot while still
> > displaying text? It sounds like TRS-80'ish!

It only lets you drop in monochrome pictures. You can choose a
foreground and a background color. The logo is show in the up right
corner when booting and it is removed before the LILO-Pro,pt appears.

You need a program called "usrutil" to make picturefiles work with the
writing program.

--
                                /\   /\
  Stefan Reinauer              /  \_/  \    Rebmannsweg 34h