Re: Boot messages (Was: Re: Ideas for v2.1)

shields@crosslink.net
20 Jun 1996 16:40:17 -0000

In article <4q8naa$4d2@Q.cistron.nl>,
Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@Q.cistron.nl> wrote:
> Uhm, all VGA cards support redefining the character set right? So why don't
> you just redefine the upper 64 characters and display them in a block
> of 8x8. That way, you will still be in text mode and LILO and the kernel
> can display all debugging messages they want. Ofcourse the kernel should
> reset the characterset just before starting the first user process.

I think this is how some BIOSes put up those cute logos on boot --
you'll notice that they're always gone by the time the OS starts
stock charset. But it does limit you to two colors per block. A
two-color image might look ok, or someone with talent and time may
figure out how to put the color breaks on natural lines.

--
Shields, CrossLink.