Re: Cyrix anyone?

Lonnie Norton (norton@aros.net)
Fri, 21 Jun 1996 00:37:06 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 20 Jun 1996, Jason Fayre wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jun 1996 msmith@quix.robins.af.mil wrote:
>
> > How many people are running Cyrix 6x86 processors with Linux
> > and how do they seem to compare with P5 and P6. I do recall there was a
> > bug in one of Cyrix chips, can't remember which.
> I'm using a cyrix 6x86-100 and I haven't had any problems with it. But,
> while we're on the topic, does the cyrix 6x86 compare to a pentium or a
> pentium pro. Would installing the pentium-gcc make any difference on my
> system?

Ive seen the Cyrix-6x86-166 run and have ran speed tests on it. It
was so much faster than the pentium5-133 that the pentium seemed like a
486dx2-66 in comparison. I have not however seen it run linux and would
like to hear from anyone who is using it with linux. The systems i ran
speed tests on were running windowsNT3.51. By the way, the pentium-133
scored a 420 as opposed to the Cyrix's 902 cpu benchmark. It loaded
autocad for windows in about half the time as the pentiums we run, and
the applications and video seemed noticably faster, which supports the cpu
benchmark that was so high that i suspected it as being incorrect at first.
LN