Re: 2.2.0 wishlist

Mike Pellatt (mike@lurch.ktgroup.co.uk)
27 Jun 1996 22:04:14 GMT

Sorry for coming rather late into this...

On Sun, 23 Jun 1996 17:01:31 +0100 (BST), Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

[ snip ]

>I see XTI (TLI is notionally at least not a real standard, X/Open and POSIX both
>specify the subtley different XTI standard for their streams) support as mostly
>user space possibly with a few kernel pieces, and contrary to a few opinions I
>at least don't see anything wrong with those kernel extras existing providing
>they are either tiny or optional, and don't impact any of the existing fast
>data paths.

XTI is subtley different ?? You jest !! Ever tried porting a package that
uses full TLI extensively onto a system (AIX OSI) that only supports the
mandatory interfaces specified in XTI, and none of the optional ones ??
To say it's a bitch would be an understatement. I ended up with #ifdef's
everywhere. I really should have "downgraded" our interface routines
to use XTI-mandatory API's only.

[ more snip ]

--
Mike Pellatt, VCS Limited (A Knowledge Group company)
Tel: (+44) 117 9007500     Fax: (+44) 117 9007501     Mobile: (+44) 468 192021