RE: kerneld/request-route interaction bug with kernel patch

Rob Riggs (rriggs@tesser.com)
Mon, 01 Jul 1996 01:53:21 -0600 (MDT)

On 01-Jul-96 Chris Faylor wrote:
>>I've been attempting to use kerneld to automatically dial out via PPP
>when a network connection is attempted and no connection is currently
>active. It works, but I think there is a bug in how it works.
>
>The bug is that the first time a connection is attempted, the modem dials
>but the kernel reports that there is no route to the host. Subsequent
>connection requests succeed, of course.
>
>I think that the problem is fixed by the patch below. Possibly there is
>a better way to do this, but this is working for me. With this patch,
>for example, the first 'rlogin' to a remote system will succeed. Without
>it, the rlogin will fail.

[patch deleted]

There is an easier fix. I had the same problem. The solution is
to put three identical nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf.
It seems that diald has the same problem. I found the fix in
diald's FAQ. This problem really should be noted in the kerneld
documentation.

Another little kerneld demand dialing tidbit: make sure that
tcsh is not compiled with the 'rh' (remotehost) option. It
will cause kerneld to dial every time the shell is invoked
for login.

Rob
(rriggs@tesser.com)