Re: SCSI bus reset

Frohwalt Egerer (froh@devnull.iconsult.com)
28 Jun 1996 19:44:34 +0200

neuffer@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de (Michael Neuffer) writes:

>On Wed, 26 Jun 1996, Boris Tobotras wrote:
>> No, I can attach HDD on the fly.
>>
>> > So what exactly are you looking for ?
>>
>> Exactly SCSI bus rescan. Is it possible?

>It depends on the SCSI controller you are using.

>I implemented support for this quite some time ago.

>This is the comment: :-)
> /*
> * Usage: echo "scsi add-single-device 0 1 2 3" >/proc/scsi/scsi
> * with "0 1 2 3" replaced by your "Host Channel Id Lun".
> * Consider this feature BETA.
> * CAUTION: This is not for hotplugging your peripherals. As
> * SCSI was not designed for this you could damage your
> * hardware !
> * However perhaps it is legal to switch on an
> * already connected device. It is perhaps not
> * guaranteed this device doesn't corrupt an ongoing data transfer.
> */

Btw, this properly initializes Platters (LUN) 0-3 on my CD ROM
changer, and although Platter/LUN 4 and 5 are mentioned in the syslog
/dev/sr5 and /dev/sr6 are not useable afterwards. (The changer starts
at /dev/sr1 ...)

Btw, the feature works great after turning on my external streamer,
which has a fan that probably has been a hovercraft engine in it's
before life ;-)

Froh

--
Frohwalt Egerer                froh@iconsult.com, froh@devnull.franken.de
                                            ftpadmin@rrze.uni-erlangen.de

She's a dabo girl and she's dating my son. I don't wanna like her. -- Sisko