Re: Boot messages

Khan M. Klatt (khan@pacificrim.net)
Tue, 2 Jul 1996 09:32:10 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 2 Jul 1996, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Is it appropriate to mention that the TCP/IP implementation is by the
> > Swansea University Computer Society, or that Donald Becker wrote the
> > WD8003 driver? This just makes Linux look like more of a patchwork
> > than it already is, rather than giving a seamless, well-integrated
> > appearance.
>
> Given said computer society would probably no longer exist if it had not
> you judge. I don't see what the problem is with the copyright messages. It
> would be good to change them to all use the same format and style so we
> get for example
>
> eth0: NE2000 IRQ 7 I/O 0x240 Address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX Version 1.14
>
> but also changing stuff like the floppy to report
>
> fd0: XXXXXchip IRQ n I/O xxx ....
>
> The way to do this would probably be to provide
>
> report_config(devname, irq, io, mem, memend, dma, other, version);

This would be nice. You could even grok the dmesg stuff in an rc.local
script to keep track of what kind of changes your hardware has gone through.
A nice Perl script to append to /var/adm/bootup, and then you can do a
"hardware-last" which gives you a "last"-like output of what configs you
booted in the past year, etc... ;-)

-Khan

Khan Klatt khan@pacificrim.net
Applications Director, http://www.pacificrim.net
Pacific Rim Network, Inc. http://www.pacificrim.net/~khan
725 N. State St. Phone: (360) 650-0442 x.13
Bellingham WA 98225 Fax: (360) 738-8315