Re: tty->count ?

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Wed, 3 Jul 1996 16:57:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 3 Jul 1996, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> Hmm...I haven't created any new tty files. On majors 2 and 3 I have only
> floppies and hd's. Is there another possible explanation?
>
> The other possible cause of this is to make sure that /dev/console
> doesn't have the major, minor device numbers of a pty. For some reason
> XFree86 likes to muck with /dev/console, and that can cause confusion if
> XFree86 doesn't have a chance to cleanly shutdown itself.

The server where this popped up doesn't run X. It is normally headless
and so it very rarely even has logins on the local console.

crw--w--w- 1 root root 4, 0 Jun 16 23:54 console

Jon Lewis | Mime attachments are OK
jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net | But please ask before sending
http://inorganic5.fdt.net | unsolicited huge files.
________Finger jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net for PGP public key_______