Re: SLIP/Serial dog slow in 2.0.0

Eric Schenk (schenk@cs.toronto.edu)
Thu, 4 Jul 1996 11:20:25 -0400

Fritz Ganter <ganter@fvkma.tu-graz.ac.at> writes:
>I noticed that my CSLIP transferrate is dog slow in 2.0.0 and 2.0.1.
>The transfer rate gets slower and after some minutes there is absolte no
>data transfer on ftp. The data rate is about 500 Byte/s after 1 minute
>transfer.
>
>I tried 1.2.13 and 1.3.97 with the same configuration both brings over 3kB/s
>on a 28.800 Modem. So its definitiv a kernel problem.

>Any ideas how to track down the problem? It would be very time expensive
>to try all kernels from 1.3.97 on.

Please take a tcpdump of an ftp transfer session and send me the results.
Also, if you can arrange it, try SLIP instead of CSLIP and see if this
helps (this depends on your being able to pick the protocol at your ISPs end).
If SLIP is better than CSLIP I'd suspect a problem in the vj compression code.
Otherwise I've munged up some case or another in the TCP code.

-- eric

Eric Schenk www: http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~schenk
Department of Computer Science email: schenk@cs.toronto.edu
University of Toronto