Re: Misc Fixes

Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@dcs.ed.ac.uk)
Sun, 14 Jul 1996 21:39:17 +0100

Hi,

On Sat, 13 Jul 1996 15:16:25 +0200 (MET DST), Matthias Urlichs
<smurf@smurf.noris.de> said:

> Hi,
> Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
>>
>> If we want to
>> allow admins to really secure their boxes, we want to keep bothh
>> mechanisms around (although admittedly we need to give securelevel
>> much finer granularity to make it really useful in such an
>> environment).
>>
> Thus, securelevel should be a bitmap instead of an integer, right?

Yes. Precisely.

The existing code would almost work; after all, the easiest way to
store a bitmap is as an integer. The only change we'd have to make is
that currently any root process is allowed to increment securelevel,
and we'd have to change the test so that only setting new bits is OK.

Cheers,
Stephen.

--
Stephen Tweedie <sct@dcs.ed.ac.uk>
Department of Computer Science, Edinburgh University, Scotland.