Re: firewalling/bridging and proc tables

Carsten Paeth (calle@calle.in-berlin.de)
Sun, 14 Jul 1996 23:29:38 +0200 (MET DST)

> System Development writes:
>
> > Also, why do certain utilities that rely on the data obtained from the
> > /proc filesystem seem to hang up when I try to get a listing? Like,
> > route and in particular ipfwadm -F -l or ipfwadm -M -l.
>
> I have run Linux-2.0.0, 2.0.3, and now 2.0.6, and I do not experience
> any Hanging. Have you upgraded to the latest procps?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Paul Matthews
> McLean, VA
> e-mail: paul@matthews.com

The tools are using DNS to provide names on output.
The 'hang' is not related to the proc filesystem, but to DNS.
My tip: Setup a local named as secondary for all zones you are
using with ipfwadm or route (especially the ...in-addr.arpa zones)

calle

--
calle@calle.in-berlin.de