Re: Target 0 underflow - Wanted (at least) (4096) got (1281) count(255)

Kirk Robinson (kirk@peri.com)
Mon, 15 Jul 1996 14:56:04 -0400 (EDT)

The MEDIUM ERROR is generally an error message indicating a SCSI hardware
problem. If this symptom appears on an old kernel as well be prepared to
replace your hard drive. I have had several SCSI disks bomb over the past
2-3 years, and almost always preceeded by SENSE KEY MEDIUM ERROR when I run
the adaptec diagnostics. I have often been able to re-map bad sectors
with the adaptec off-line rom diagnostics (verify disk) but they seem to
return on many drives. Check all cables and terminator's first, then see
if you have any off-line diagnostic pgms that can re-map bad blocks.
Sometimes a power loss at a critical time can also cause bad blocks which
may be repairable by a low-level re-format.

Kirk Robinson Periphonics Corp.
Sr Project Analyst 4000 Veterans Memorial Hwy.
Email: kirk@peri.com Bohemia, N.Y. 11716
Phone: (516) 467-0500 Fax: (516) 471-8322