Re: linux 2.0.5 -hangs- with sound module / sb16

Mark Orr (markorr@intersurf.com)
Mon, 15 Jul 1996 04:48:04 -0500 (CDT)

On 12-Jul-96 "Joshua E. Hill" wrote:
>I had this exact same problem just last night... I found that if I
>didn't compile in the MIDI support, it worked just fine... I
>have no idea why this works, but it fixed my problem...
>
>I noticed that when I loaded the module, unloaded it, then loaded
>it again (with any amount of time in the intrum) my machine locked.
>When I ran an strace on a process that relied on kerneld to load and
>unload the driver, the machine froze when /dev/dsp or /dev/audio was
>opened. If I ran the insmod myself, strace revealed that the machine
>froze on the sys_init_module call. That's about as far as I got.
>I hope that helps.
> Joshua

mmm...interesting. I've been corresponding w/ Hannu about it,
and he offered to me that if you add "#define NO_SB_IRQ_TEST" to the

file /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/sb_common.c

that it'd skip part of the init routine. He said that was new
to 2.0.6.

Although, he said that that part of the code "might" be the problem
-- he wasn't sure.

I tried it -- didn't work. "modprobe sound" still hung the machine.

No MIDI, eh? Well, it's worth a shot.

<later>...well I just did -- and it worked. Time to mail Hannu again
:-)

Mark Orr
markorr@intersurf.com