Re: Nasty comments

Adam McKee (amm130@mail.usask.ca)
Sun, 21 Jul 1996 04:16:59 -0600 (CST)

Well, there has already been too much fuss about this, but...

I doubt anyone who has responded in favour of removing the comment was
offended, but I think there is excessive concern that the comment will be
bad for Linux's "image" (no pun intended...) Since Linux is free, there
should be less of a need to be paranoid about this kind of thing. Curse
words in the bootup messages would be unprofessional and rightfully bad
for Linux's reputation. However, curse words in the comments don't seem
like the kind of thing anyone should worry about. Besides, anyone who is
offended by a little cursing obviously has no experience programming, and
no good reason to look at the kernel sources in the first place (other
than to find out what C code looks like).

-- Adam