Re: Encryption Hardware

Jeremey Barrett (jeremey@forequest.com)
Mon, 22 Jul 1996 10:43:17 -0700 (PDT)

Actually, its specifically an RSA board that I'm looking for, for exactly
that reason, its really slow in software :)

Symmetric algorithms are reasonably fast in software, so I'm not so concerned
about them. I have a potential bottleneck in a server that must do RSA,
and would like to farm that off to a board if possible...

On Mon, 22 Jul 1996, Systemkennung Linux wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Has anyone got any encryption hardware running on Linux? I'm looking
> > for a board that does RSA, and obviously a device driver. If anyone has
> > any experience or knows something available, please lemme know.
> >
> > Or if anyone knows of a board, even without a driver, it shouldn't be
> > too hard to slap one together...
>
> You probably want to use some block or stream cipher like DES, IDEA or
> RC4 but not RSA. RSA is very slow and has some significant weaknesses
> under certain circumstances. So think again about if you really want
> to use RSA.
>
> In general encryption hardware is only required if you have extreme
> security requirements. In that case you should ask a well renommed
> company. The other reason for encryption hardware is, of course
> performance. Especially DES is performancewise a pain in the but and
> using another algorithem like IDEA will result in a significant
> speedup and might make the hardware unnecessary.
>
> Ralf

- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremey Barrett
Senior Software Engineer jeremey@forequest.com
The ForeQuest Company http://www.forequest.com/

"less is more."
-- Mies van de Rohe.

Ken Thompson has an automobile which he helped design. Unlike most
automobiles, it has neither speedometer, nor gas gage, nor any of the
numerous idiot lights which plague the modern driver. Rather, if the
driver makes any mistake, a giant "?" lights up in the center of the
dashboard. "The experienced driver", he says, "will usually know
what's wrong."

-- 'fortune` output