Re: Ramdisk Bug?

Darrin R. Smith (drsmith@eznet.net)
Tue, 23 Jul 1996 20:30:55 -0400

John Storrs wrote:

> Hi all

[...]

> kernel: equest: I/O error, dev 01:01, sector 2590
> Then trying
> mke2fs -vm0 /dev/ram1 2048
> I seem to be able to build a file system on it (though in cycling through
> this bug search I've had user error messages here sometimes).
> However
> mount -t ext2 /dev/ram1 /mnt
> fails with the user error message
> mount: wrong fs type or bad superblock on /dev/ram1.
> Same result with different ramdisk devices and sizes.
>
> Is this a bug or do I have a configuration problem?
>
> John

I have this same problem, but *not* if I first do:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ram bs=1k count=2048

before

mke2fs -vm0 /dev/ram 2048
mount /dev/ram /fd0

I thought it was a bit strange too, but after I got it to work
the way it's shown in the Documentation directory, I figured it
was supposed to work that way.

--Darrin

--
FAQ Suggestions:
   Q:  I upgraded without reading release notes, now my system's broke -