Re: Missing modules aliases (again)

Jacques Gelinas (jack@solucorp.qc.ca)
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 21:32:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 23 Jul 1996, Andrew C. Esh wrote:

> Look in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt, find the device
> number 22, look at the "block" section, and you find "Second Hard
> Drive". This message resulted from trying to mount /dev/hdc1, or
> something like that. So if I knew that my second hard drive interface
> card was a XYZ-2200, and the module name was xyz-22xx, then the
> /etc/modules.conf fix would be this:
>
> alias block-major-22 xyz-22xx # Module for second hard drive
>
> I just haven't figured out those binfmts yet.

The kernel has little information on what is what. For device it knows
the major number of the is requested. Now most of this is documented and
the latest modules-2.0.0 have most aliases done.

the second IDE interface is not a module and currently can't be setup
indenpendantly from ide0, so I guess this message will stay. You can do

alias block-major-22 off

to disable the message.

For binfmt, the same happen. Something is executable and the kernel does
not know how. It pick the first 2 bytes of the file and use that as the
magic word. It builds the string "binfmt-magic" and throw this to kerneld.

binfmt-0 is as far as I know, nothing. I guess one data file has been
chmod to executable and you are trying to execute it, with the given
result.

Jacques Gelinas (jacques@solucorp.qc.ca)
Linuxconf: The ultimate administration system for Linux.
sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/system/Admin/linuxconf-...