Re: Alternate solutions (Was: Re: NFS still has caching problem)

Olaf Titz (olaf@bigred.inka.de)
27 Jul 1996 16:18:02 +0200

Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
> A Linux DFS implementation would be a Very Good Thing, IMO.
> Certainly, it wouldn't be a bad thing. However, DCE and DFS are *very*
> complicated. The place to start is the freeware OSF/1 release of the

What I've heard about DFS by now makes me very skeptical if this is a
solution you would _want_ anyway. E.g. root can't access files of
ordinary users on a DFS mount unless the user is logged in.
Which means, just about everything that has to do with mail or cron
jobs won't work...

olaf

--
___        Olaf.Titz@inka.de or @{stud,informatik}.uni-karlsruhe.de       ____