Re: Sundry repeating 2.0.x problems

Kevin D. McCormick (fbyte@sub-zero.mit.edu)
Sat, 27 Jul 1996 22:17:18 -0400 (EDT)

On 27 Jul 1996, Steven L Baur wrote:

> Since 2.0.0 (This wasn't happening in 1.99.x or earlier) I have been
> getting messages like this one.
>
> Jul 18 08:58:58 deanna kernel: Out of memory for xemacs.
>
> It generally seems to occur when XEmacs is starting up, and seems
> spurious because there is always >30MB of available core+swap when
> it dies. I've been over XEmacs enough to be sure this is not an
> XEmacs problem.

I've been seeing this sort of thing too. I'm running 2.0.0 now, and one
evening when I was doing a whole lot of sound work I started seeing

/dev/dsp: Out of memory

when I had a couple dozen MB free when I would start up my sound
program. This happened while *opening* the sound device.

Also, as of kernel 2.0.8, the sound driver misbehaves sometimes when
playing at high sample rates on my SB16. The following bit of code has
worked fine for me ever since the 1.2 kernels, but in 2.0.8 the sound
plays at half speed.

int dsp;
int SampRate=44100;

dsp=open("/dev/dsp",O_WRONLY);
if (dsp==-1) {
printf("Can't open audio device.\n");
exit(1);
}
if (ioctl(dsp,SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED,&SampRate)==-1) {
printf("Can't set audio speed.\n");
exit(1);
}
i=1;
if (ioctl(dsp,SNDCTL_DSP_STEREO,&i)==-1) {
printf("Can't set stereo mode.\n");
exit(1);
}
i=16;
if (ioctl(dsp,SNDCTL_DSP_SAMPLESIZE,&i)==-1) {
printf("Can't set 16 bit mode.\n");
exit(1);
}

(My machine is a SuperMicro P55CMS 100MHz Pentium, 32 MB ram, synchronous
cache, with IDE and SCSI and a SoundBlaster 16 ASP.)

Kevin "Frostbyte" McCormick kmccorm@mit.edu - root@sub-zero.mit.edu
Massachusetts Institute of Technology You should be running Linux!
Q: How many Microsoft engineers does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: None. They just define darkness as an industry standard.