Re: ISDN + kernel panic

Fritz Elfert (fritz@wuemaus.franken.de)
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 09:22:19 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sun, 28 Jul 1996, Herbert Rosmanith wrote:

> hi,
>
> just for testing, I installed a ISDN-(Nebenstellenanlage.. sorry, no dictionary
> here :-( .. , connnected a PC with a Teles and a ISDN-phone to it. this
> was just a local ISDN configuration with no possibilty to phone outside
> to the real world.
> dialing with the phone into the PC cause a kernel panic, but not only
> one, the screen was scrolling by quite fast instead. after rebooting
> (-> reset button), nothing showed up in the logfile anymore. it was also
> impossible to press <scroll-lock> to write down the EIP & registers,
> and the kernel panics where spewed on the console endlessly.
>
> thus, i'd like to ask for the following option:
> allow that kernel panics are dumped to the serial/parallel port as well,
> where a different machine monitoring the port can record them.

Try the following line or a similar one in /etc/syslog.conf:

kern.* /dev/ttyS0

There are also some #defines in linux/drivers/char/console.c I never tried
them out before, however:

if CONFIG_SERIAL_ECHO is defined, and
CONFIG_ECHO_PORT is set to the correct port (see comments), then the
system-console seems to be echoed to some serial line.

Ciao
-Firtz

--
Fritz Elfert                                phone: +49 931 281122
Wuerzburg/Germany                           email: fritz@wuemaus.franken.de