Re: swap problems

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 11:00:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> > Using 2.0.3, I just got a bunch of these:
> >
> > swap_duplicate: trying to duplicate unused page
> > swap_free: swap-space map bad (entry 00000100)
>
> Both of the above _look_ like a one-bit error (it's probably an empty
> entry, but one bit got set some way). Together with a few SIGSEGV's in
> user space and other random crashes I'd say it's most likely due to
> memory or cache problems.
>
> It can obviously be due to a wild kernel pointer, too.

I'd rather think it's not the hardware. This was on a P90 that's been in
service over a year. It's never exhibited cache problems before. The
RAM has been upgraded several times...but last time was months ago. It's
got the Neptune chipset and one CPU. I've upgraded it to 2.0.10.

Jon Lewis | Mime attachments are OK
jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net | But please ask before sending
http://inorganic5.fdt.net | unsolicited huge files.
________Finger jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net for PGP public key_______