Re: Virus 'protection' departitionment

Wed, 7 Aug 1996 13:06:12 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Thorin Kend Linderholm wrote:

> I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, if you have a better I'd
> love to know...

No it's not the right place, but I can't think of a better place ....

> I just ran f-prot virus protection(in dos) and it said it found and
> cleaned the ripper virus on my second drive, the one with a dos, linux swap,
> and ext-2 partition. It decided I really had one huge dos partition and
> wrote that on my MBR. Does anyone know any way to rewrite the MBR with the
> correct information witout losing all the data on my drive?
>
> BTW, I know the data is still there because my kernel is on that
> drive and lilo can still run it, but of course it can't mount root, cause
> the file system info is wrong in the MBR.

You mean partition table don't you ? Well one way would be to
repartition (with Linux's fdisk, it doesn't destroy data like dos's), in
exactly the way you did when you last partitioned that disk (don't do any
fs making tho ;).

> Thorin Linderholm

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :( and I don't care ;)      |            initiated.