Re: SMP locks up when NFS times out

Kapi (kapis-p@abydos.com)
Mon, 19 Aug 1996 21:04:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 19 Aug 1996, Lee Hetherington wrote:

> 1. start a big NFS read (10s of MB) with something like
>
> % sum /big/nfs/file
>
> 2. wait 10s or so
>
> 3. pull the ethernet connection
>
> As soon as you see your first "NFS server not responding" (at least I
> think you see it, now I'm not sure) you're locked up for good.
>
> **Could someone else running Linux SMP try out this lock up procedure?***
>
> I have tried 2.0.13, 2.0.12, and 2.0.11 SMP with the same fatal lockups.
>
> Any ideas? Please help! I'd love to help, but I don't know where to
> begin.

Just tried it. Doing exactly the steps you are descripting on an
P6DNF 2x200P system (foobar). foobar is NFS mounting disks from
another linux box. After getting standard NFS syslog/console timeouts
I pluged things back in and everything recovered as expected. No
hangup and the sum completed just fine.

foobar is running RedHat 3.0.4/2.0.12 and the other box some generic totally
hacked system. However what you should look at is the versions of
nfsd and related software when comparing results.

foobar rpc.nfsd 2.2beta4
rpc.mountd 2.2beta4

other box rpc.nfsd 2.1
rpc.mountd 2.1

Hardware/software details of the SMP box are available at:

http://www.abydos.com/~kapis-p/linux/

-Kapi

--
Piotr Kapiszewski (kapi@abydos.com)		http://doomgate.gamers.org