Re: AWE32 Programming Info (Official) Released!!!!

Derrik Pates (dpates@cavern.nmsu.edu)
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 07:57:05 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 20 Aug 1996 goemon@anime.net wrote:

> Doesn't matter. Some people have already reverse engineered the chip and
> published the documentation (and sample code) on the web:
>
> http://xfactor.wpi.edu/private/witek/awe/src/guide.txt
>
> So you don't have to worry about Creative Labs NDA at all.

You misunderstand - there's no NDA to it, all the agrement constitutes is
that you will not hold CL liable for any damage to your hardware from the
provided specs.

> Someone has used this information to make a Linux modplayer for the AWE32:
>
> http://xfactor.wpi.edu/private/witek/awe/
>
> I think at the very least, /dev/dsp and /dev/audio support for the AWE32
> should be possible very quickly. ;-)

The AWE has the same wave audio subsystem as the SB16, so it's already
supported*.

* Get with the program, man.

Derrik Pates
dpates@cavern.nmsu.edu