Re: Asynchronous I/O file system

Kevin M Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Thu, 22 Aug 1996 00:57:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 16 Aug 1996, Matthias Urlichs wrote:

> Note also that neither BSD nor Linux writes data synchronously, so the last
> 30 seconds' worth of changes (under Linux) are going to be at risk.

I thought I read something like that in the kernel source, but I
can't think of a really effective way to test it out.

However if I set up two directories differing in this bit, and I
repeatedly do "cat ~/.fvwm2rc > syncdir/foo" and then likewise
do "cat ~/.fvwm2rc > nosyncdir/bar", the nosync directory makes
funny noises every time the file is updated, and the syncdir
only make a noise the first couple times.

So if it doesn't work, why is this? Or does it "almost work"?

__kmb203@psu.edu_______________Debian/GNU__1.1___Linux__2.0.12___
Programming is always harder than doing the same task manually.
It's hard because you must completely understand the problem,
take everything into consideration, and protect against every
possible flaw. Then you never have to do it manually again.
The great driving force behind programming is the fervent
devotion to laziness: you wage a war to save typing later.