Re: AWE32 Programming Info (Official) Released!!!!

Hannu Savolainen (hannu@voxware.pp.fi)
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 08:41:09 +0300 (EET DST)

On 22 Aug 1996 ulmo@q.net wrote:

> Does the information in the AWE32 programming manual cover normal
> sound operations, too? Would it indicate a method to use full duplex?
The Emu8000 information doesn't cover full duplex at all. However
Creative's ftp site contains sample sources for using full duplex so lack
of information is not the reason why full duplex support is missing.

> I've been waiting to use full duplex on my SoundBlaster AWE32 under
> Linux for ages now, since otherwise the bidirectional voice software
> is quite difficult to use. Is this a limitation of the USS Lite
> drivers that are in the Linux kernel, or of the information previously
> or currently available on how to program the cards, or of the kernel?
There is no full duplex support in Linux because it's hard to find a way
to implement it without breaking everything else. The full duplex support of
SB16 is broken in that the operation is asymmetric. In full duplex the
card should be in 8 bit mode in one direction and in 16 bit mode in the
other. The driver has been designed for symmetric operation where both
directions have the same parameters.

Full duplex fot SB16/32 is coming before Linux 2.2 but I don't know
exactly when.

Hannu
Hannu Savolainen (hannu@voxware.pp.fi, hannu@4front-tech.com)
http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/voxware/hannu.html (my home page)