Re: EIP with 2.0.10

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Sun, 1 Sep 1996 03:20:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 31 Aug 1996, Jon Lewis wrote:

> Just got this on a shell server up 32 days on a pine (3.95) process that's
> been active for several days with a 2mb+ inbox.
>
> Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address d5b958e4
> current->tss.cr3 = 0421e000, %cr3 = 0421e000
> The system is still running...and I'm debating rebooting to upgrade to
> 2.0.16.

Things were worse than they first appeared. Apparently, when pine died,
it left my inbox in some sort of permenantly locked state. Each new
message that came in for me resulted in a procmail (3.11pre4) process
going into uninteruptable sleep, and added 1 to the load avg. Procmail
was compiled under 2.0.10, libc 4.7.6, and used:
Locking strategies: dotlocking, fcntl(), lockf(), flock()
I'm not sure what locking Pine 3.95 uses. At least one message
(fortunately I read it in /var/spool/mqueue) was lost as a result.

I ended up rebooting to 2.0.16.

Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
Network Administrator | be proof-read for $199/hr.
________Finger jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net for PGP public key_______