Re: Memory is diminishing.

Olaf Titz (olaf@bigred.inka.de)
03 Sep 1996 11:01:25 +0200

Albert Cahalan <albert@ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> I just checked /usr/src/linux/Documentation, and it appears that
> there is nothing to explain the twisted way Linux defines free
> memory. I could explain "free", but when 6 processes are sharing
> a page with the disk cache I've no idea if there are 5, 6, or 7

On a related note, is there any documentation on the sysctl parameters
(esp. in the VM area) other than digging through the source? I have
the impression that I could cut down on the "Couldn't get a free page"
delays on a 4MB box by tuning these, but how? :-)

olaf

--
___        Olaf.Titz@inka.de or @{stud,informatik}.uni-karlsruhe.de       ____
__ o           <URL:http://www.inka.de/~bigred/>     <IRC:praetorius>