Re: Sudden, dramatic death with 2.0.17

Tue, 3 Sep 1996 12:50:45 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 2 Sep 1996 brianc@saintjoe.edu wrote:

> I can barely call myself hacker, but I try to run latest kernel revisions
> on a variety of machines as an exercise in masochism.
>
> I just patched up to 2.0.17 on a GW2K, 16MB Pentium, ELF, etc. etc.
>
> I have had essentially rock-stable performance with previous kernel versions.
> B/c I had read about problems with 15 & 16, I went 14->17.
>
> When I use PPP, the instant that the ppp daemon sends
>
> "Connect ppp0 <--> /dev/cua0"
>
> I am dead in the water. Nothing in the log files, but the system crashes
> totally and has to be reset-ed.

Hmm, if you can get it to lock again, try messing with AltGr-ScrollLock
(aka RightAlt-ScrollLock) to see where in the kernel you are (if that
dosn't work, then the box is totaly locked :(.

[...]
> If there's some obvious dumb thing I'm doing, I'd be glad to hear about it.

Can't tell, you didn't give enough info to tell us that ;).

> Thanks.
>
> Brian Capouch

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :( and I don't care ;)      |            initiated.