Re: IP-alias problem

Keith Owens (kaos@audio.apana.org.au)
Fri, 6 Sep 1996 15:36:59 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 5 Sep 1996, Nicolas Lichtmaier wrote:

> I run a BBS with several diskless-nfsroot mounted-floppy booted-machines
> with internal modems. They get their IP address by querying "zaratustra"
> (what a name!). IP=200.5.76.1 [bootptab snipped]
> When I set up an alias for eth0 (ifconfig eth0:0 200.5.76.70) to host a
> "virtual WWW server" this is what happens:
>
> us? says that "200.5.76.70" replied and, ignoring the bootp fields TRIES TO
> MOUNT FROM 200.5.76.70. nfsd/mountd ignores such a request and booting
> fails.

Somewhere between 1.3.91 and 2.0.10, the code for choosing the route device
when an IP alias existed was changed. I had a similar problem where packets
were going out with the wrong IP address, route was using eth0:0 instead of
eth0. Changing the route statement in rc.inet1 to explicitly specify 'dev
eth0' fixed it for me.

Sorry, cannot help with the wrong NFS mount problem.