Re: Lockups on 2.0.15-2.0.18

Anthony Pardini (apardini@computek.net)
Mon, 9 Sep 1996 00:04:07 -0500 (CDT)

Alan Cox posted a patch against 2.0.17 that was supposed to fix some SMP
problems.. I just tried 2.0.18 thinking it would be correted there but I
was wrong. Time to try the patch I guess. I have the same symtoms..
kernels less than 2.0.15 work with SMP new ones do not. i'll forward you
the post alan made..

tony

On Sun, 8 Sep 1996, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I was running 2.0.12 on my SMP dual p-166 system just fine.
> I had to take the machine down to add some hardware, and decided to
> upgrade to the latest (2.0.18).
>
> Compiled kernel, installed, rebooted. Everything came up fine, but
> after a short period of time, the machine locked up. Total lock
> up. Had to hit the reset button. ;(
>
> Did some things to track it down further.
>
> It appears that 2.0.14 is the last kernel that doesn't lock up my
> machine. 2.0.15 - 2.0.18 all exibit the lock up. Also, I narrowed the
> lock up down to when the machine is about to swap. ie, 90+% of memory
> is used and you start something like a netscape or XEmacs.
>
> I know a number of people that have upgraded their uniprocessor
> machines to 2.0.18 and had no problems. Is there anything that has
> been added to SMP that might be causing problems?
>
> Is there anything I can do to further track down the problem? I get no
> oops or other output, the machine just locks up solid (perhaps trying
> to swap to the disk?)
>
> any other ideas? Thanks for any suggestions...
>
> kevin

Anthony B. Pardini
Assistant Systems Administrator
Compu-Tek International