Re: reboot problem

Richard Guenther (richard.guenther@student.uni-tuebingen.de)
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 11:30:49 +0200 (MESZ)

On Tue, 10 Sep 1996, Alexandre Maret wrote:

> Ulf Jaenicke-Roessler wrote:
> >
> > I'm using Linux on a 486/66 with a Cyrix-CPU.
> >
> > After installing a new version of my distribution (DLD) with Kernel v2.0
> > I got a problem with 'reboot'. Shutdown works fine (terminate, sync, ...),
> > but then the screen darkens and I' ve to push the reset-button to get
> > the computer back to work.
> >
> > Does anyone know the reason?
>
> nope... and it's exactly the same on my PC. I'm using kernel 2.0.13 and
> this
> *NEVER* worked on my pentium system. In fact, that's not exact. It
> sometimes
> shut down the screen (because there's no more video signal), it rarely
> reboots,
> and it almost always lock up. I've no idea why, but it's maybe in the
> arch/i386/kernel/process.c hard_reset_now function. If nobody did
> investigate,
> I'll take a look at it
>
> alex
>
> PS : before everybody asks, APM *IS* disabled everywhere (kernel + BIOS)
> and
> I already tried to play with BIOS settings...
> --
> \\-----------------------------------------------------------\\
> // Alexandre Maret -- Linux : The choice of a GNU generation //
> \\ amaret@infomaniak.ch -- http://www.infomaniak.ch/~amaret \\

Hi!

I have this problems too on one of my two pentium machines.
They have exactly (mostly) the same software-configuration, differing only in
motherboard (one is an ASUS P24XE, with no problems, the other is an ASUS
P24N which causes (probably) the problems). Perhaps this might be a BIOS
problem? (the P24XE has 1.13, the P24N has 2.01, both are PNP-Versions)

hope this helps to track down the bug.

Richard.