Re: Wierdness from my SCSI CD.

Dan Merillat (harik@ao.net)
Sat, 14 Sep 1996 04:33:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 13 Sep 1996, Heiko Eissfeldt wrote:

> Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 20:25:55 +0200
> From: Heiko Eissfeldt <heiko@colossus.escape.de>
> To: Dan Merillat <harik@ao.net>
> Subject: Re: Wierdness from my SCSI CD.
> Newsgroups: linux.dev.scsi
>
> In article <Pine.LNX.3.93.960911220209.160A-100000@eola.ao.net> you wrote:
>
> : When I play audio CDs (using anything, cdp, workman, workbone...)
> : after I go from track 8 to track 9, I get this:
> On what drive?

Oh yea... that would have been useful no? <whap> Ok take 2... I'm having
a problem with a CD-Rom.

Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
Vendor: CHINON Model: CD-ROM CDS-535 Rev: Q21
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02

That one, to be exact.

> Use 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi' to get the info.

I know I know... Sorry, I work tech support... the users
"It's broken!" "what is?" "It is!" is starting to rub off.

> : Note, this isn't just one cd... this is ANY audio CD.
> Then it is most most most probably broken firmware. Or they have their
> own commands/formats instead of the SCSI-2 recommended ones.
> In the latter case you would need documentation to make it run.

Perhaps. But the fact that it is ONLY on that one track bothers me.
(Both the tracks before and after work properly)

So unless there is a special "Play track 9" command instead of
Play(track9) I dunno.

> : anyone seen anything like this before?
> Only with indexed or CD-Extra's.

Nope. standard audio CD's.

> : Given that this is a old drive, I wanted to make sure I don't get a new
> : one with the same problem... so if we can isolate this to just one
> Thats the first time I have heard something like that (for every audio CD).

Yea. I thought I had a scratched CD at first and was pissed. but when
the rest of them started doing it as well...

--Dan