Re: memory testing [was: Re: General protection fault in kswapd in 2.0.18]

Edward Welbon (welbon@bga.com)
Sat, 14 Sep 1996 09:57:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 14 Sep 1996, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Sep 1996, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> > Does anybody on the kernel list know of a good test program that is generally
> > available that can be left running over-night or similar?

> Pick up a hairdrier and point it at your memory modules, while the system
> is running. If some of the modules are flaky, then errors will show up
> quite fast.

But be careful heat is vary bad for semiconductors, especially the densest
ones. You can use Norton or AMI diagnostics to do memory tests. I have
not been able to run these under dosemu these programs are evidently not
very operating system friendly. I recommend that you use the selections
that write various problems and if possible without ECC.

Ed Welbon; welbon@bga.com;