Re: crashme crashes 2.0.20 with guarantee :-(

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi)
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 16:27:44 +0300 (EET DST)

On Mon, 16 Sep 1996, Boris Tobotras wrote:

> Static crashme-2.1 which I've used is accessible from
> http://macsimum.gamma.ru:1080/crashme.gz

Thanks, tested, doesn't make any difference for me (height of arrogance:
I tried it logged in over the modem without any way to reboot the machine
if it had actually crashed anything). I used the parameters you supplied
in your previous mail:

./crashme +2000 666 50 00:01:00 2

(and before running it I did a "ulimit -s 1000 -d 4000" to make sure it
didn't try to eat all my memory). I did a few other runs too, and the worst
I've seen has been that crashme eats a lot of memory.

Now, it would be interesting to have others running crashme too, and see if
there is some pattern to failures (specific configurations and/or CPU's or
whatever). For example, crashme _always_ succeeds to bring a machine down on
old i386 machines (the popad bug is fatal in protected mode) regardless of
OS.

Linus