Re: Q: current limit of ext2fs ?

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Tue, 17 Sep 1996 02:47:25 -0400

From: Herbert Rosmanith <herp@wildsau.idv.uni-linz.ac.at>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 06:01:49 +0200 (MET DST)

what is the current limit for a single ext2fs partition ? is it possible
to have a single 4G partition ?

The theoretical limit is 4TB (terrabytes); in practice, there may be
some signed/unsigned bugs at 2TB (terrabyytes), or 2048GB. I've
personally seen a 54GB e2fsck partition made, using a raid array at the
last Berlin Linux conference.

(Alan promised me a GIF of the photograph he took of me and my laptop,
which was hooked up via a PCMCIA SCSI card to a raid array, where we
created a 54 GB filesystem using mke2fs, and then mounted using the
Linux kernel and dropped some files onto said filesystem; Alan, did that
photo ever come out? I want it for my ext2fs web page. :-)

- Ted