Re: POSIX feature or bug?

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@smurf.noris.de)
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 13:12:47 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

Ulrich Windl wrote:

>> Preventing random people from deleting your directory is a whole lot easier
>> than preventing people from walking into your directories (which is
>> impossible because of the guy named "root").
>
>The guy named "root" can also delete your home directory while you
>are in Emacs...

root can also delete my home directory while I'm not even logged on, so
that makes no difference -- my work is gone in either case.

>> I don't like the idea of a race condition where I can't ever be sure that
>> my rmdir("/var/spool/whatever/job-0815") is successful at about 3 am
>> because that's when my network backup is running.
>
>Why would you want to do that? Your arguments are NOT convincing.

Lets' say I have a server. The server creates a directory for each job.
When the job is finished, the directory is deleted.

This works perfectly, except (with a directory-locking scheme) when there's
somebody else in the same directory. Like the network backup process. Or my
shell, when I want to check up on the job's process.

Right now, the server deletes the directory, and the backup process sees
it's empty and moves on to other things. I can do the same with my shell.
(Not being able to call getwd() successfully isn't a problem, that happens
very often, eg. when the parent directory is unreadable.)

With locking, the directory will be undeletable and it'll sit around forever.

Call me dense, but I just don't understand which particular problem you're
trying to solve here.

--
I hear what you're saying but I just don't care.