Re: Bad news

Derrik Pates (dpates@cavern.nmsu.edu)
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 08:12:40 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 20 Sep 1996, Chris Evans wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Sep 1996, Boris Tobotras wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > yes, there are bad news for me :(
> >
> > I tried 1.2.13, kernel `scsi' from slackware 3.0. Runs eight
> > parallel crashmes without any fault. Rebooted then into 2.0.20 with
> > this configuration:
> >

> Just a word of caution; strange as it seems your problem could still be
> hardware, not the kernel.
>
> Example: We had a Pentium with a knackered CPU fan. 1.2.13 ran solidly
> (kernel compiles etc.) for 2 weeks+, but more recent kernels would
> invariable OOPS all over the place when firing up daemons at boot-up.

Had a similar situation with a Pentium-75 on an ASuStek board (shock of
shocks). It had previously been used as a NetWare server, but was too
unstable so it was taken off line, then installed SlackWare 3.0, and
1.2.13 was OK, but anything beyond that (1.3.XX experimental kernels, etc)
were always segfaulting. If your board ahs an Award BIOS (this one did)
slow the RAM timings down a bit, and try again. Just my $0.02 worth - hope
it helps.

Derrik Pates
dpates@cavern.nmsu.edu

"What'll you two lovable plush toys have?"
"How 'bout a root beer popsicle and an Orange Julius? What about you,
Max?"
"Dishwater! And put it in a dirty glass!"
-Sam & Max
"Fair Wind to Java"