Re: Solution: Modules under 2.1.0

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@smurf.noris.de)
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 13:50:03 +0100

In linux.dev.kernel, article <Pine.LNX.3.91.960926082135.418A-100000@HarryH.wg41.rus.uni-stuttgart.de>,
"Hoyer, Harald" <root@HarryH.wg41.rus.uni-stuttgart.de> writes:
> After 3 hours of lookin around what is wrong with insmod ... here is my
> small solution. Insmod is backward-compatible. I changed the
> parameterlist for sys_create_module because an unsigned long > MAX_INT is
> treated as en error for libc or whoever. SO it's a bad idea to take the

But that's a generic problem which affects some of other kernel functions
too (mmap(), brk(), ...). Adding another parameter to create_module() might
work for create_module(), but not for the others.

Besides, you now vane effectively created a new system call. For backwards
compatibility, that system call needs a new number, IMHO.

There's another patch which counts only negative numbers from -1 to -4095
as errors; I think that's preferable, and we can live without being able to
access the last page if somebody ever runs Linux with 1 GByte of main
memory.

--
Harry's bar has a new cocktail.  It's called MRS punch.  They make it with
milk, rum and sugar and it's wonderful.  The milk is for vitality and the