FTape and floppy driver conflict

Simon Giesecke (sgiesecke@erde.gun.de)
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 18:37:00 +0000

Hallo Warner!

Quoting Message by Warner Losh to Simon Giesecke:

WL> In message <MSGID_2=3A2448=2F9017.11_32469c18@fidonet.org> Simon
WL> Giesecke writes:
WL> : screen was full with "Kernel NULL pointer dereference" messages,
WL> : then the system completely hung. There were no messages in the
WL> : syslog besides a "cannot get IRQ 6" from the floppy module. BTW,
WL> : both the ftape and floppy driver were compiled as modules.

WL> You cannot use the floppy tape and disk drives at the same time due to
WL> hardware shortcomings. However, the kernel should lock the other out
WL> while it is accessing one of these so that this sort of thing won't
WL> happen.

Yes, that is exactly the problem. Of course I do know that one cannot use the
ftape and floppy drivers simultaneously but they should tell me about the
conflict and not simply crash the system.

Bye,
Simon!

E-Mail: sgiesecke@erde.gun.de
PGP 2.6.2 public key is available on request.
Fingerprint is 0D C0 B8 C6 D1 F4 95 FF 3E 7F F3 D6 2F 45 D6 C9