Re: 2.0.21: TCP hangs solved by disabling Path MTU Discovery

Hugues Talbot (Hugues.Talbot@dms.csiro.au)
Fri, 27 Sep 1996 13:19:49 +1000

> Derrick J. Brashear (shadow@dementia.ORG) wrote:
> : I put back a piece of code that had been if 0'd out around 2.0.16 to get this
> : to work with the path mtu discovery, but when I posted the patch as a possible
> : fix for the PPP problems I was having, someone else posted that the patch was
> : in there because it was making something break on his machine. Who knows?
>
> As I understand, that piece of code is both harmless and useless.
> It can neither repair nor break something.
> (FIX ME, if I am wrong)

You are wrong (sorry) in a way. If put back in, the one-liner
we are talking about most definitely breaks my PPP. We (I think) all
agree that this is strange, and maybe the indication that something
else is broken, but what ?

> The most probably you have fatally broken router.

What do you mean ?
This breaks the direct communication between my machine and the PPP
server at my workplace, which is a dedicated Xylogics server.

__________Hugues Talbot, CSIRO Div Maths & Stats,______________
/ \
| ,-_|\ Down under, Locked Bag 17, North Ryde NSW 2113 |
| / \ Ph: 61 2 9325 3224 Fax: 61 2 9325 3200|
| \_,-._* <- There (Building E6B, Macquarie University) |
| , E-mail: talbot@syd.dms.csiro.au |
| WWW: http://www.dms.csiro.au/~talbot |