Re: ppp

Brad Pepers (pepersb@cuug.ab.ca)
Sat, 28 Sep 1996 15:59:08 -0600 (MDT)

> On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Andrew E. Mileski wrote:
>
> > > Maybe I'm grasping for straw here, is there _anybody_ out there that can
> > > give me a definitive answer as to why ppp performance degrades steadily?
> >
> > Sounds like the USR "spiraling death syndrome", but of course you
> > need to be using a particular model of USR modem.
>
> Spiralling death only affected older Sportsters, I think. Also, it
> usually set in more quickly and more severely than Russell's problem --
> the line tended to drop within minutes, rather than getting a slow
> throughput decrease over hours (which I think is what Russ mentioned).
>
> I had a Sportster upgraded a couple of weeks ago to fix this. Sadly, it
> now seems to have developed "burning death syndrome", where it gets very
> hot very quickly and shuts down.
>
> Not that this is anything to do with linux-kernel, of course...
>
> phil

I have a USR Sportster 28.8 and we have installed USR Sportster 14.4 modems
in some customer sites. Where could I get more info on this problem? We
have had some problems where we are getting kicked off and also some problems
where the modem won't reset after we log out. What are the symptoms of
this "spiraling death" and how can it be fixed?

Thanks!

Brad Pepers Proud supporter of Linux and
Ramparts Management Group Ltd. Caldera in Canada!
ramparts@agt.net
http://www.agt.net/public/ramparts Linux rules!