Re: problems with IDE driver

David Woodruff (davew@rebel.net.au)
Mon, 30 Sep 1996 13:37:11 +0930 (CST)

On Sun, 29 Sep 1996, Brett Hollon wrote:

> hdb: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> ide0: reset: success

> VLB umc8672

Brett, I've had the same problems using a promise VLB card. I read the IDE
docs that came with the kernels, and they mentioned that there was something
about the cmd640 chipsets which implied that they had a fault. Apparrently,
PCI boards using the cmd640 chipset are detected at boot and the appropriate
action is taken to prevent any problems, but with VLB cards you need to pass
a kernel parameter. The following is taken from the ide.txt file:

*** The CMD640 is also used on some Vesa Local Bus (VLB) cards, and is *NOT*
*** automatically detected by Linux. For safe, reliable operation with such
*** interfaces, one *MUST* use the "ide0=cmd640_vlb" kernel option.

I'm not sure what chipset your card uses, but perhaps give that a try and
see what happens, it has worked for me.

davidwoodruff

--
email:	david.woodruff@tellurian.com.au