Re: 2.1.0 is cool, only one very small problem

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi)
Tue, 1 Oct 1996 09:01:29 +0300 (EET DST)

On Mon, 30 Sep 1996, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> Instead of doing a soft reset like in 2.0.21, Ctrl-Alt-Del now does a hard
> reset. Otherwise 2.1.0 is way cool and stable for me [kudos for getting
> 2.1 up so fast]. My config:

Ok. If you do want a soft reset, you use the kernel command line option
"reboot=warm", which re-instates the old behaviour. I got several mails
telling me that cold reboots works on some hardware that didn't use to reboot
cleanly before. As the cold reboot is the safer thing to do anyway (anything
which successfully warm-boots should cold-boot no problem) it's now the
default (it will be the default in 2.0.22+ too), and you can override it it
you want to.

Linus