Re: paritition numbers changing?

Ray Lehtiniemi (rayl@crosskeys.com)
Sat, 19 Oct 1996 15:45:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 19 Oct 1996, Marty Leisner wrote:

> This has happened a lot with freebsd disk slices and linux
> parititions...
>
> The partition ID number is incremented mysteriously by 0x10.
> This doesn't affect freebsd (it doesn't seem to care when a partition
> is changed from a5 to b5). But I'm now using extended
> linux parititons and it makes a different if the code is
> 85 or 0x95. (dos extended -- code 0x5 doesn't change).
[SNIP]
> Its works well in a session (I can mount hdb6), then when I reboot,
> its changed again (most of the time...)
>
> Any one can provide some enlightenment?

nope, but i can second the report. that happened to me when i first
started using linux. 2 gig scsi split between linux and dos/nt (so i
removed the bsd list from the followup) this occurred with 1.2.13
and 1.3.18 and 1.3.88 kernels, using the fdisk et al. from the april 1996
infomagic disks, slackware distribution.

i changed the partition ids to the right numbers, and they automagically
changed themselves back. i had forgotten about it till i saw your mail,
mostly because it didn;t seem to cause me any grief, and i had way too
many other sysadmin type things to learn about :)

Ray Lehtiniemi <rayl@crosskeys.com>