Re: Reboot-by-BIOS-jump-patch

Stephen R. van den Berg (srb@cuci.nl)
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 17:17:54 +0200

Matthias Urlichs <smurf@smurf.noris.de> wrote:
>Well, here it is again; I modified the thing so that's (a) properly
>indented and (b) you can control whether to boot via the BIOS by saying
>"reboot=bios" or "reboot=hard" on the LILO command line (or its append=
>string). Stuff like "reboot=cold,bios" works, too.

What about simply trying the real-reset/triple-fault method first,
for say two seconds max, and then simply jump to the bios?

This would eliminate the need to select between bios and hard and allows
kernels to boot the machine no matter what.

--
Sincerely,                                                          srb@cuci.nl
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).