Re: reproduceable GPF in 2.0.23 with Quota when unmounting /proc

Mark Levitt (melevitt@syr.edu)
Sat, 26 Oct 1996 19:15:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Chris Evans wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Mark Levitt wrote:
>
> > I'm a little confused about this whole issue. Is there any legitimate
> > situation where unmounting /proc would be useful?
>
> 1) Is there any legitimate situation where we WANT the kernel to OOPS on
> a VALID command?

Ok, I guess what I'm asking then is why is unmounting /proc a VALID
command? I'm not sure why you'd want/need to do that.

> 2) The bug appears quota/mount related, it would not surprise me if the
> same bug can bite people in situations other than umount /proc.

Well, this makes sense. If it's a bug that only manifests itself in
this situation, then yes, it should be fixed. However, if it's only
something that effects /proc, then not so much, no?

Of course, if somebody actually discovers the problem/fix, great. It
just seemed to me that people were getting a little excited over it.

Peace.

Mark E. Levitt
Department of Speech Communication, Syracuse University
E-mail: melevitt@syr.edu
Home Page: http://web.syr.edu/~melevitt

PGP fingerprint = B8 A3 AA A6 0F 83 9A BE F2 7A 19 F9 15 79 FE A4
Public key available from http://web.syr.edu/~melevitt/pgpkey.html