Re: scrollback

Keith Owens (kaos@edison.dialix.com.au)
Sun, 27 Oct 1996 10:36:15 +1100 (EST)

On 26 Oct 1996 PC-Ace@iactiva.cl wrote:

> >Better yet, why not have it saved in a file?
> >/var/run/scroolback/tty1, tty2, and so on...
>
> NO! I mean, I'm not even sure it can be done, but if it could, wouldnt
> it be HORRIBLY slow?!? Imagine the kernel doing a read/write EVERY time
> you change your VC. This would certainly be a pain in the ass,
> especially when you do it a lot (like I do). And even worse with slow
> disks/controllers.

The kernel already saves the *visible* screen when switching VC's, the
buffer (AFAIK) is visible rows*visible columns in size. Somebody who
wants this feature (not me, if I want large scrollback I use xterm) could
increase the buffer size. As for files, add /proc/vcs/... to access the
entire buffer, probably root only access.