Re: Memory upgrade: not faster / nfs

Sun, 27 Oct 1996 09:27:41 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Keith Rohrer wrote:
[...]
> > I think there is some option that makes the compiler write out in bigger
> > blocks, it's either a gcc option, or a rebuild the libc, and define this I
> > can't rember which, but it was discussed on this list some time ago, so
> > perhaps you should look in an archive for it (Looking at ld's man page,
> > and info pages it's either quite obscure, or not part of ld ...).
>
> Howsabout -pipe? Saves you all the intermediate files except the
> .o's...and would cut those out too if it weren't for that "separate
> compilation" thing.

Well the kernel has that already, but I think ld writes each section in
the binary in a differant write and so thats 19 in a single ELF binary I
have here, and it's only 4963 bytes long (That's AFAIK tho).

Oh, that option could be a compile time option of ld, it basically has the
effect of coalescing (sp?) the writes,

> Plus, ramdisks are your friend...a version of tmpfs
> which doesn't crash the system for lack of memory when you cat /dev/zero
> > /tmp/foo (or otherwise fill up /tmp) which could run in a ramdisk (which would be only one of the swap spaces) would do wonders for diskless systems...
>
> Keith

Hmm, I would have thought that this was a bad idea, unless you have loads
of memory (remember he is also activly swaping over nfs too, so I think
this is out).

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :( and I don't care ;)      |            initiated.