Re: OFF TOPIC [was]Re: Linux needs control.exe

Sun, 27 Oct 1996 22:39:26 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 27 Oct 1996, Eric Youngdale wrote:
> Actually, this is something that RPM helps a lot with. You
> can query the database with a command to find out what package it comes
> from. For example:
>
> bash$ rpm -qf /usr/bin/wc
> textutils-1.19-2
>
> While this may not tell you everything about why a file is present on the
> system, it can narrow it down an incredible amount.
>
> -Eric

If you stick an i in that, you get this:

# rpm -qif /usr/bin/wc
Name : textutils Distribution: Red Hat Linux Rembrandt
Version : 1.19 Vendor: Red Hat Software
Release : 2 Build Date: Fri Aug 09 23:49:22 1996
Install date: Thu Oct 17 15:02:24 1996 Build Host: porky.redhat.com
Group : Utilities/Text Source RPM: textutils-1.19-2.src.rpm
Size : 795496
Description :
These are the GNU text file (actually, file contents) processing
utilities. They include programs to split, join, compare, and
modify files.

Now I think that that tells all to most people .... (Tho it's a bit odd,
as I never installed the Rembrandt (3.0.4) release, just went from 3.0.3
to Colgate (4.0) ...)

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :( and I don't care ;)      |            initiated.